Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Turtle and the Hare...

My feet looked at me and said, "I'm tired of being the turtle!"


I laughed, sipping on my hot cocoa as my feet were elevated on the couch. "Too bad!" I retorted, though I felt the same way - I was tired of being the turtle, too.


"Get me some new shoes and I'll show you what we can do," my feet challenged.


A half smile snaked across my cheek. "But I don't like to run."


My feet chuckled mockingly. "How would you know if you've never tried? You've always had an excuse, but what you don't realize is that once you start, I guarantee you won't want to stop!"


Finding I was looking for a hobby, and not one to turn down a challenge, I narrowed my eyes and grabbed my old sneakers. "Let's first give these shoes a try. I'm not buying you new toys if we won't use them!"




My feet frowned, but found they had no other choice. I took them to the track and off we went.


At the end I stopped, breathing hard after only one mile.


"So?" my feet asked, practically dancing with joy.


I didn't want to admit that I liked the feeling, so I just smiled and winked instead. "Yeah, we'll see how I feel tomorrow."


The next day I woke with the most veracious need to run.


My feet chuckled at me. "Told you so!"


"Fine," I broke down. "I'll get you new shoes."




Little did I know that was the beginning of the end - the end of being a turtle, and the beginning of what would become my marathon training regimen.


We now run three miles when we go out and we barely break a sweat (well, can't really say the same for my feet). Biking for and hour and a half seems like a stroll through the park, and weight lifting - a cinch! Life as a Hare is so much better! My feet were right!




It's marathon season, folks! Get out, and get moving!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails