Friday, March 19, 2010

Family Friday: Brother and Pulled Pork


My Brother Finally Visits

My brother is in town. Yep, Chris. He hasn't seen my house in three years and it's changed by leaps and bounds. The first time he came he was sleeping on the bare subfloor in a sleeping bag. Now, we have a real guest room for him. He brought his girlfriend, Jennifer, who I really like. She's a flight attendant and my brother is a pilot - so cliche!

Growing up my brother and I were good friends, and my husband (whom we've known since we were five) was my brother's bully, lol. Basically it's an interesting situation when the whole family gets together, and the look on Stewy's face above is what you see...

Fun, fun!

Pulled Pork



So, I pulled the tension together with a little pulled pork! I love pulled Pork, and I like to serve it on those little hawaiian sweet rools like a 'mini-burger'

I use store-bought coleslaw, and follow this recipe by 'Eating Well' and I also make it in a crock pot and let it cook all day, basically, the only thing I do use is the ingredients :)

Ingredients


1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil


2 medium yellow onions, diced


2 tablespoons chili powder


1 tablespoon cumin


2 teaspoons paprika


1 teaspoon cayenne pepper


12 ounces beer, preferably lager (1 1/2 cups)


3/4 cup ketchup


3/4 cup cider vinegar


1/2 cup whole-grain mustard


2 tablespoons tomato paste (see Ingredient notes)


1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce


1 5-pound bone-in Boston butt (see Ingredient notes)

Directions

Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and very soft, about 20 minutes.

Increase heat to high; add chili powder, cumin, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add beer, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, tomato paste, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, 10 minutes. Meanwhile, trim all visible fat from the pork.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the pork, spooning sauce over it. Cover the pan, transfer to the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Turn the pork over, cover, and bake for 1 1/2 hours more. Uncover and bake until a fork inserted into the meat turns easily, 1 to 2 hours more.

Transfer the pork to a large bowl and cover with foil. Pour the sauce into a large measuring cup or glass bowl and refrigerate until the fat and sauce begin to separate, 15 minutes. Skim off the fat. Return the sauce to the pan and heat over medium-high until hot, about 4 minutes.

Remove the bone and any remaining pieces of fat from the meat. The bone should easily slip away from the tender meat. Pull the pork apart into long shreds using two forks. Add the hot sauce to the meat; stir to combine. Serve hot.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails