Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Italian Wedding Meatball Soup, Spring Snow, and Book Update!

Knight Angels Out of Editing

So, I got the call from my editor in New Jersey this past weekend, and she's done with Knight Angels. She loved the book, which makes me very happy. So far, anyone who has previewed and edited the book loves it! I've added a few things here and there, and the final editing process is far from over, but I can see the end on the horizon!

I'm setting a release date for late April. I'm thinking the 22nd (22 is my favorite number after all) but don't hold me to it. There are too many variables to know for sure.

In a way, I'm nervous to get the book back from the editor. I always get a little anxious over finishing a book because I wonder if I'll be able to write the next. After editing for so long you lose touch with the groove you were in while writing it. Knight Angels was my NaNoWriMo winner, and those of you who know what I'm talking about understand how that month of writing is like carrying a baby!

Luckily I have been writing a little in between. I've been dabbling with my children's chapter book here and there, trying my best to remain fresh. Reading also helps, though I've been slacking on Beautiful Creatures. It usually takes me a week to finish a book, but I fear it's been over a month!

Spring Snow

This past weekend was so beautiful, now though, it's frigid again. I wonder what the wheat in the fields are starting to think, and what it will do to the harvest. Yesterday it snowed, but nothing much accumulated. I had a cup of soup for lunch, and it was so good, that I made soup for dinner - also good. My husband LOVES Italian Wedding Meatball Soup, and so do I. I decided to include my hearty recipe!

My friend asked me what makes it 'Wedding'...

I told her to ask the Italians. I have no clue. I figure it's something they traditionally served at weddings. I mean, that makes sense, right? Either way it's still good, and either way, it's really easy to make! I like to add a few secret ingredients as well, it really adds to the flavor of the broth and meatballs... 




Italian Meatball Soup



INGREDIENTS

1/2 red onion
(diced)

1/2 c. italian bread crumbs

1 package acini di pepe noodles
(cooked and drained)

1 pound ground turkey

1 egg

1 clove garlic
(minced)

olive oil

5 cups chicken broth

1 package fresh spinach

DIRECTIONS

After the meat is defrosted, combine egg, bread crumbs, onion, and garlic in a bowl. Mix ith hands. Now this is where I add the secret ingredient! Goat cheese!!!! I love goat cheese - love, love, love, love. Since it's tart, and not to mention creamy, the cheese really adds something to the meatballs - yum. I add about three ounces.

Mix all this together. In a large pot (I used a Le Creuset) add a tablespoon of olive oil and the broth. Bring to a boil. When the broth is boiling, take a small spoon and scoop the meat (small, about half a golf ball) and form gently. Drop in boiling broth and repeat until all the meat is gone.

The meatballs cook rather quickly, but allow to boil five minutes after you drop the last ball in. In the meantime perhaps do a little clean up :)

After five minutes, add the acini and the whole bag of spinach. It seems like a lot at first, but the spinach wilts down rather fast. Stir until spinach is wilted and serve!

Yum yum yum.

You can serve with a bit of bread, though I don't. The soup, as you will find, is quite thick. I like it this way because it feels like a meal :)

Enjoy! And have a great Tuesday!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails