Thursday, April 15, 2010

Re-living My Childhood: Part 1



Well. This is my new post series, and I am very excited about it. My mother kept just about every single one of my toys, and I recently inherited them back! This series will be all about re-discovering my past and being a kid again!


Breyer Horses




I found this box the other day when my husband and I were in the bomb shelter looking for the movie box. When I saw it, two things came to mind:

I haven't seen these in forever! I'm going to cry!
and:
Spiders! Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew...

Well, I didn't find any spider's - not necessarily. I did however find a little white cottony nest inside one of the fencing posts... ew.


So Here's The Story:

My grandfather, Edgar, knew I loved Breyer horses (and real horses! I had a pony) and he was a very skilled carpenter - really, AMAZING! He built me these fences by hand. The base is made of particle board and the posts are cedar. He drilled holes and pegged the end of each post, even going so far as to make corner posts, and posts for lengthy sections. BEAUTIFUL, not to mention one-of-a-kind. I will never get rid of them - NEVER!


The Final Set-Up:



Just look how cute! And those fences - no cheap plastic for me! I remember making those little bundles of hay myself, as well as the plaid horse blanket and saddle. There was a little Barbie cowboy hat in the box, too! Ugh, so many memories! I was always a crafty child, and I rarely watched TV. No wonder I can write books! It's all about your imagination...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom left it up to me what to keep, sell, or donate (as long as my stuff "left" her house-LOL). Things (toys) I kept from my childhood were my Madame Alexander dolls, and Barbies (including clothes-both purchased & made by my grandmother). My daughter never liked dolls, but did play with & appreciate my Barbie collection. That's one of my stories...Thanks for sharing yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails